Wednesday, April 29, 2015

THE ANIMATED WINNERS OF RIVERRUN!

Okay,
so I'm back from my
judgeship at the 
Riverrun Film Festival
in beautiful
Winston Salem,
North Carolina!
I'm used to going to 
animation-only
festivals where I know,
(or at least know of)
most of the filmmakers 
and attendees.
But Riverrun is primarily a
live-action festival so I didn't 
know many people.
 
Fortunately I had my fellow
 animated shorts jurors:
That's 
New York
animator/director
Celia Bullwinkel 
in the middle.
And that's 
animator
illustrator
designer 
and
Nickelodeon 
development coordinator
Joanna Leitch
on the right.

They kick butt
and we had a great time
wandering around Winston Salem,
eating Southern food
and
drinkin' root beers,
But the real reason we were there was
to watch lots of films,
pass mad judgement
and declare some
winners!

So I present to you
our pick for the 
Best Student Animated Short:

The Present
by
Jacob Frey
from
Filmakademie Baden-Wurttenberg,
Germany


And the winner of
Best Animated Short:

Bear Story
by
Gabrielle Osorio Vargas

Here's what we had to say about it:

“With its mechanical tin toy aesthetic and clever 
take on narrative vs. reality, we and the audience enjoyed 
the film’s tale of a bears tragic and ultimately heroic life story.”


Both are wonderful films.
Definitely check them out if you get a chance!

I'll tell you a little more about 
the festival in my next post.
So stay right where you are, okay?

1 comment:

Evrett said...

old man on the street with a box he wants me to look inside of? Reminds me of that Justine Timberlake SNL sketch.