Thursday, January 8, 2015

SOUL EATER



I know you're going to be all like,

SHUT UP
with all the 
manga
already!


But I can't because
I just got caught up with this series:


I originally read it in the ill-fated
print version of
But after it went online,
I didn't bother to keep up.

Now that so much
manga is available on my iPad,
I'm hanging with the Soul Eater gang again!

It's a weird concept,

Written and illustrated by Atsushi Ōkubo,
the story is set at the "Death Weapon Meister Academy",
and revolves around weapon meisters and weapons that can transform into humanoids. 
Trying to make the latter a "death scythe" and thus fit for use 
by the academy's headmaster Shinigami, the personification of death
they must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and one witch, 
in that order; otherwise, they will have to start all over again.


I like it for a lot of the same reasons I like

It's a bit cartoony:


The poses get pushed all over the place:







And the characters are weird and funny.
I especially love Medusa and her snake powers:







The anthromorphic Sun and Moon
and an especially freaky/weirdly touch




The series finished in Japan a while ago but we're still
waiting for the last couple volumes here in the States.


Can't wait to see what happens!

But what to read
NEXT?!

Got any suggestions?!







6 comments:

BluePrint said...

Read Bleach.

Anonymous said...

What do you think of these (some of the most famous shonen like soul eater):
D.Gray-Man
fairy tail
Blue exorcist
The world god only knows
Shangri la
Mirrai niki
But I'm european and don't know if you can buy them in US.

mr. warburton said...

Blueprint-- I read Shonen Jump every week and LVOE Bleach. although it's meandered bit since Aizen was defeated.

Anon - the only one on your list i've read is Blue Exorcist, but only since they started putting it in SJ. I might have to go back and start from the beginning!

pinkandorangesunset said...

Death the kid FTW!!!!!!!
You should read SAO (sword art online)

BluePrint said...

I haven't read anything past entering the soul society in bleach. You might be interested in the Kingdom Hearts manga

numbuh0051 said...

Pandora Hearts is a really good one. Ouran is too but that's more along the lines of shojo than shonen so I don't know if you'd like that. Code Geass is an excellent manga and an even better anime!