Wednesday, September 24, 2014

GETTIN' JUDGY WID IT AT OIAF 2014



If you hang out with a lot of judges,
then you probably overheard them 
talking about me recently.

Because
there was a lot of
next level 
block rockin'
straight-up 
hardcore
JUDGING
all up in
Canada last week!

YES!
I had the honor of serving on the 
Feature Jury
at the

AND I PASSED
MAD
JUDGEMENT!

But I couldn't do it alone.
I had two sooper talented
colleagues.

The first was
Ottawa's own
Patrice James:


As Director of the
she knows a thing or two about film.

She also knows how 
to kick some style.

Patrice was our rock,
totally keeping us on topic
and making sure we didn't accept any bribes
of candy from
unscrupulous filmmakers.

The third of our trio 
was the 
insidiously brilliant
3-D animation deconstructionist
and
independent filmmaker


Mr. O'Reilly
and I spent many hours
chatting over root beers,
fixing the world's problems
and fighting crime in Ottawa.

Hopefully we'll do so again here in LA.
Because he rocks pretty hard.

You can't really beat a jury 
like that, can you?

No, you can't.

There were five films in competition this year.

by Mait Laas, Estonia


Luc Chamberland, Canada


Jaques-Remy Girerd & Benoit Chieux, France


Otto Guerra & Ennio Torresan Jr.. Brazil


Sheila Sofian, USA


Our choice,
by unanimous decision,
was
Seth's Dominion.

It's truly a charming, beautifully made documentary;
a mixture of live action interviews with the 
and perfectly animated versions of his comics.

Here's a picture I snapped of 
Luc Chamberland.
the film's
equally charming director
accepting his award.


This was my first time judging in a festival.
And I had so much fun 
I'm not sure I can go back to
NOT
being a judge!

Eleventy billion thanks to 
festival director
Chris Robinson
and
EVERYONE
at the 
OIAF
for having me this year.

Ottawa rocks!




No comments: