Thursday, March 20, 2014


EARLY PEPPER ANN DESIGNS



Back before 
Pepper Ann
was 
Disney's 
Pepper Ann
she was a comic strip 
in YM Magazine
(aka Young and Modern Magazine)
(nee Young Miss Magazine)

Shockingly,
the internets don't have no
examples of the strip.
But I can assure you that PA
looked a lot like this guy:

Which isn't shocking since
created both
and
Pepper Ann.

Before Disney,
Sue pitched a
Pepper Ann series to 
Nickelodeon
but they asked for for it to
NOT
look like Fido.

Enter 
Mr. Warburton!

I had been working with Sue on 
Fido Dido stuffs for a long time.
We had similar styles and 
got along sooper good.
So she asked if I'd help
figure out what a
non-Fido 
Pepper Ann 
might look like.

We all know what PA ended up looking like...
but here are some early sketches that
Sue and I kicked around:







It's so fun
looking back at 
old stuff like this!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, great works! I hope will contact with Sue and see original strip of Pepper Ann, please contact me

Bouman

Unknown said...

Can you address the break between fido dido and pepper Ann? I grew up thinking both were cool, why no fido boyfriend for pepper?

Shamekarj said...

I'd like to buy some back issues of YM for the comic strips. Which years were they published?